Land for the first park in Minneapolis was donated in 1857, but it took over 25 years before there was a major interest in parks in Minneapolis. in 1883, the legislature authorized the city to form a park district. The initial vision was to create parks all around the city and have boulevards connect them, seen in concepts developed by Frederick Law Olmstead. However, this was abandoned in favor of a string of parks that enveloped the different lakes around the city. Lake Harriet was donated to the city by William S. King in 1885 and the first bandshell on the lake was built in 1888. The current bandshell, built-in 1985, is the fifth one in its location (seen in the image above). Minnehaha Falls was purchased as a park in 1889 and became one of the city's best parks. The position along the riverfront allowed visitors to take in the scenic views along the Mississippi The park was named after a character in Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's epic poem, The Song of Hiawatha. In 1906, Theodore Wirth came to Minneapolis as the parks superintendent. During his tenure, the park system quadrupled in size. The park system, organized around the Minneapolis chain of lakes became a model for park planners around the world. He also encouraged active recreation in the parks, as opposed to just setting aside parks for passive admiration.
If you take a look at the video above, The Minneapolis Institute of Arts was established in 1883 by twenty-five citizens who were committed to bringing the fine arts into the Minneapolis community. The present building was designed by the firm of McKim, Mead, and White and opened in 1915 in the neoclassical style. The museum boasts one of the largest gallery spaces and collections in the United States. The Minnesota Orchestra dates back to 1903 when it was founded as the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra. It was renamed the Minnesota Orchestra in 1968 and moved into its own building, Orchestra Hall, in downtown Minneapolis in 1974. The Walker Art Center was established in 1927 as the first public art gallery in the Upper Midwest! In the 1940s, the museum shifted its focus toward modern art, after a gift from Mrs. Gilbert Walker made it possible to acquire works by Pablo Picasso, Henry Moore, Alberto Giacometti, and others. The museum continued its focus on modern art with traveling shows in the 1960s and is now one of the "big five" modern art museums in the U.S.
Information sourced from Wikipedia. Cover image by McGhiever and licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0 and sourced from Wikipedia.