The official travel and tourism page for the state of Missouri. Enjoy the show.
The entire village is a National Historic Landmark. Using oral histories, records and artifacts, the story of achievement in the face of adversity serves as an inspiration to this and future generations.
Still an active community, Arrow Rock was once a trading post placed at the crossing of the Missouri River and the Santa Fe Trail. Settlers from the Southern states flocked to the village, bringing with them the idea of slavery. In 1860 the population reached 15,000 with a third of the people being enslaved African-Americans.
Brown's Lodge was once used as a meeting place for the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. The building was used exclusively by the black community and acted as a community space which also provided assistance to members and their families. While the upstairs was used for the lodge, the bottom floor was rented to a restaurant.
The lodge was restored and now houses a museum with artifacts from the former lodge and restaurant. It's dedicated to the village's former black citizens and honoring the African-American slaves who helped build the town.
Brown's Chapel and Black Lodge are the a couple of the last remaining buildings from a thriving African American Arrow Rock community.