Aloe Plaza is part of the Terminus section of the St. Louis Gateway Mall in Downtown St.Louis. It is two blocks in size and sits directly in front of Union Station. The plaza was determined in 1923 and was named after Louis Aloe, president of the Board of Alderman.
Louis P. Aloe died in 1929 and therefore was made a reality by his wife Edith Aloe in 1940.
Amidst all the projects and causes to which he was dedicated, their grandson Kenneth Aloe Marshall held great personal devotion to the maintenance and improvement of the Aloe Plaza in downtown St. Louis. throughout his lifetime.
The plaza is dominated by the Carl Milles fountain "The Meeting of the Waters". The fountain represents the coming together of the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers alongside 17 mythical creatures standing for tributaries. In Ken’s life, the fountain also came to represent a convergence of his greatest passions - history, art, engineering, St Louis, and family.
Information sourced from Wikipedia. Cover image by Americasroof and licensed under CC BY-SA 2.5.