Crafting Your Experience

Grand RapidsHistory
Washtenaw County Historic District Commission

Greek Revival Architectural Tour

Greek Revival architecture was America's first national architectural style. During the early decades of the 19th century many towns adopted Greek names such as Utica, Athens, Ypsilanti, and Syracuse. In Washtenaw County, Greek Revival architecture was prevalent between 1820 and 1865. The style is expressed primarily in houses, but some churches, schools, and commercial buildings contain Greek Revival features. Characteristics of this style consist of a rectangular shape, a medium-to-low-pitched gable roof, and clapboard covered exteriors. Other common features include gable returns, frieze boards, corner boards or pilasters, round or square columns, pediments, six-over-six double-hung rectangular windows, and elegant door surrounds.

  • 1.

    Kempf House

    Kempf House

    This temple front Greek Revival house was built in 1853 by Mary and Henry Bennett.

  • 2.

    Leland House

    Leland House

    This house is unusual for its wide front gable form.

  • 3.

    Burnett House

    Burnett House

    This hen and chicks house is clad in cobblestone and features stone quoins and heavy cornice returns.

  • 4.

    Knight House

    Knight House

    This one-and-a-half story cobblestone cottage was built by the Knight family.

  • 5.

    Pope House

    Pope House

    This upright and wing house is a large-scale example of Greek Revival architecture.

  • 6.

    Tubbs House

    Tubbs House

    George Tubbs built this house around 1856.

  • 7.

    Phillips Reeves House

    Phillips Reeves House

    Local tradition holds that the original log cabin is enclosed within the current house.

  • 8.

    Boyden Farm

    Boyden Farm

    Boyden Farm was constructed during a shift in popularity from Greek Revival to Italianate architecture.

  • 9.

    Williams-Mast House

    Williams-Mast House

    This house was built by John Williams in 1828.

  • 10.

    Sharon Mills County Park

    Sharon Mills County Park

    Henry Ford purchased this mill as part of his Village Industries Initiative during the 1920s and 1930s.

  • 11.

    Gordon Hall

    Gordon Hall

    Gordon Hall is one of the most well-known Greek Revival structures in Washtenaw County.

  • 12.

    Newton Sheldon House

    Newton Sheldon House

    This stucco house is attributed to Stephen Mills.

  • 13.

    Brinkerhoff-Burg House

    Brinkerhoff-Burg House

    This house was built c. 1845 for H.H. Brinkerhoff.

  • 14.

    Ballard-Breaky House

    Ballard-Breaky House

    This house was built around 1830 by Arden H. Ballard.

  • 15.

    Towner House

    Towner House

    This house is believed to be the oldest house remaining on its original foundation in Ypsilanti.

  • 16.

    Anderson House

    Anderson House

    This temple front Greek Revival house was built by William Anderson in 1836.

  • 17.

    Wilson-Wahr House

    Wilson-Wahr House

    This house was built in 1843 by Judge Robert S. Wilson.

  • 18.

    Treadwell-Popkins House

    Treadwell-Popkins House

    The c. 1860 house was at one time part of a prosperous farm.

  • 19.

    Dixboro United Methodist Church

    Dixboro United Methodist Church

    This church was built in 1858 as a Methodist Episcopal Church.

  • 20.

    Ticknor-Campbell House

    Ticknor-Campbell House

    The cobblestone house was built in 1844.

  • 21.

    Sutherland-Wilson Farm

    Sutherland-Wilson Farm

    This property was farmed by the Sutherland family for over 150 years.

  • 22.

    Orrin White House

    Orrin White House

    This cobblestone house was built c. 1840 in several stages by local leaders Orrin and Ann White.

  • 23.

    Lohr House

    Lohr House

    Local builder Stephen Mills constructed the house in 1866.

  • 24.

    McCollum-Schmitt House

    McCollum-Schmitt House

    The house is attributed to Stephen Mills and features his signature stucco exterior over adobe brick.

  • 25.

    Hurd-Tefft House

    Hurd-Tefft House

    This side gabled one-and-a-half story house was built c. 1850.

  • 26.

    Weller's Carriage House

    Weller's Carriage House

    The historic mill was purchased by Henry Ford in the 1920s for his Village Industries Initiative.

  • 27.

    Webster United Church of Christ

    Webster United Church of Christ

    Henry V. Libhart built this Greek Revival Church in 1834.

  • 28.

    John Stanton House

    John Stanton House

    This upright and wing house was built around 1860.

  • 29.

    Gray Farmhouse

    Gray Farmhouse

    Judge Samuel Dexter built this house in 1834 for local physician Amos Gray.

  • 30.

    Ladies Literary Society

    Ladies Literary Society

    Arden Ballard built this temple front Greek Revival house around 1842.

We use cookies on this website. You are free to manage these via your browser settings at any time. For more information about how we use cookies, please see our Privacy Policy.